Wednesday, May 18, 2011

an introduction


I recognize this isn't the most conventional of terms for us to meet on, but I've just made an astounding realization about myself and I have to share it with anyone that will listen. 

I have ADD. 

Not even like the excusable, clinical kind that has to do with the functioning of my brain, but the other kind - the kind that's completely self-imposed and just an implication of my utter inability to be satisfied or comfortable. With anything. Ever. So I suppose it's really more of a character flaw than anything else.

This blog is a shining example of my ADD. I started a blog once. You can check it out here. If you don't feel like clicking, fear not - I'll tell you what you'll find. Oh, about six posts. In six months. I mean, really? That's not a blog. That's a periodical. And a terrible one at that because it only has one article a month. (Tangent: Do kids today know what periodicals are?)

Anyway, the point is that I have a hard time sticking to things. My interests and attention waiver almost as frequently as my decision on where to eat dinner most nights. (Fun fact about me: Being asked to pick a place to eat is the bane of my existence. You'd think I was making the hardest decision of my life. I'll literally change my mind ten times.)

And while my lack of focus is probably mildly annoying for most people that know me, it's also something I kind of appreciate about myself in a way. I constantly want to try new things and figure out what I like and what I don't. I love that feeling of tackling something I've never done before. Plus if I've learned anything in my short year being in the "adult" world (those are air quotes), it's that you take that feeling of invigoration anywhere you can. When I think about the fact that I'll be working for the next 40 years, it kind of makes me want to cry. Anything to distract me from remembering this fact is good in my book.

So here we are. Starting a new blog and hoping that this one will outlive the last. What I realized about my last foray into the blogosphere (ugh, did I really use that word already!) was that I wasn't really doing it for myself. I was doing it because I thought I had to contribute some sort of commentary on social media and advertising and other things related to my professional life. The truth is I read that stuff all. day. long. Why would I want to go home and write about it? The things I actually want to write about are the millions of random thoughts that go through my head every day. Like why it's impossible for me to keep track of pens. Or how come when I buy a new notebook I can never bring myself to write on the first page, I have to leave a buffer page and start writing on the second? Those are the things I look forward to sharing because hey, maybe someone out there can relate. And that's cool. 

So here we go. Maybe this blog will be the exception to my rule. Feeling a little skeptical of myself at this point, but still quite hopeful. 

ps. In case you haven't noticed, I love parentheses. (ya think?)

pps. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. 

1 comment:

  1. i had the same concern when i thought about starting a blog! my solution? i got one i had to PAY to maintain. there's no better motivator than a monetary investment.

    also, i have the same issue with notebooks. cardinal rule: first page must remain untouched. i mean, what if your handwriting is atrocious on the first page or you write something that's kind of lame or uninteresting? it sets the tone for the rest of the notebook and you know exactly what that means, that notebook's not lasting more than a week.

    sierra kelly mcgill
    youngalumni.squarespace.com

    ReplyDelete