Saturday, November 3, 2012

imagination at work | disney's wreck-it ralph


I don't typically share many of my movie reviews on this blog because we see ALOT of movies and I'm pretty sure you guys would get sick of that really quickly. BUT sometimes I see a movie that is so good, so inspiring I can't not share it with you.

Last night Jason and I went with our friends, Sean and Brittany, to see Disney's Wreck-It Ralph. The secret's out: WE'RE HUGE NERDS. We have literally been looking forward to this movie for months. Animation? Disney? Video games? It's like a perfect storm of geeky amazingness and we had to be there on night one. Obviously. (Fun fact: At one time Jason really wanted to work for Pixar so he did the full tour thing and really considered going to animation school. Am I the only one that thinks that's so nerdy it's cool? When we first started dating and he told me that, he scored major points. Any guy that is as amazed as I am by the creativity and imagination that it takes to make their movies is okay in my book.)


Anyway, I didn't know quite what to expect because while the trailer looks really fun, I didn't know how they'd make a full-length feature out of the plot. And I'm kind of a purist when it comes to animated movies - first and foremost you have to have a great, well thought-out storyline or I don't care how amazing the graphics are, I won't be blown away. (Brave is a perfect example of a one-note plot that left me disappointed.)

But you guys, this movie is soooo entertaining. It's like seeing your imagination on steroids. The details that they thought of to incorporate into the whole game world is just amazing. What Toy Story did for toys, this movie does for video games, but I feel like it's so much more relatable because video games are kind of the toys of the 21st century (whether you think that's sad or not is another story.)

The visuals were mesmerizing - most specifically the Hero's Duty game (Jason's favorite game-world of the movie) and Sugar Rush (my favorite game-world of the movie.) And while the animation and the plot could have easily made it a great movie on its own, the writing and the voice work put it over the top for me. There were so many laugh-out-loud funny parts. It's one of those movies that I would have no problem seeing multiple times.

The movie left me feeling so inspired and creative. I thought to myself, I just want to create something in my lifetime that is that... FUN. There are so many details in the movie that you can tell someone in a brainstorm said, "Oh, oh, and what if we made it so..." and you know someone said, yep, we can do that. That's gotta be such a cool feeling for an animator. To know that whatever your brain can come up with, you can make a reality.

Anyway, I hope you guys all get a chance to see it, and I hope you're having a great weekend!

ps. You guys know how I get really stressed out about Halloween costumes? I decided to get over that I should just start coming up with costumes like a full year in advance. So now I kinda wanna go as Vanellope Von Schweetz for Halloween next year just in time for it to be completely irrelevant and confusing for people trying to figure out what I am. But still... who doesn't want to dress up as a pint-sized brunette with the wit of Sarah Silverman, hair sprinkled with candy remnants and a need for speed? And need I remind you, her name is VANELLOPE VON SCHWEETZ. Best. character. ever. (Yes, I'm aware the wit is not included in the costume.) Seriously guys, next year when I'm freaking out, just remind me of this, please!



1 comment:

  1. where did you get the clothes? my daughter wants to be Vanelope this Halloween. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete