Monday, May 23, 2011

where crafty comes in


I've always considered myself a creative person, and I can honestly say I am the most happy and in my element when I'm creating things. Not only is it an incredible feeling of accomplishment when I realize I've made something with my personal stamp on it, but I can't get enough of that elusive-yet-addictive feeling of being overflowing with ideas. It honestly makes me feel alive and just...well...myself.

When I originally got the idea in my head that I wanted to start this blog, it wasn't just because I wanted a place to send my thoughts out into the world (though that was certainly part of it); it was also because I wanted a place to document my crafty adventures and all the things that inspire me. Sort of a digital reminder of how great it feels to make things.

The truth is, I've been crafty since the beginning. Whether it was for birthdays or Christmas gifts for friends and family, I've made small little artsy gifts and knick-knacks my whole life. I idea of making something was always more comfortable to me than buying something because I'm so terrible at remembering what people like and don't like. (I swear it doesn't mean I don't care - I just have a TERRIBLE memory!)

I distinctly remember being nine years old and hand painting little jewelry boxes for each of my best friends. I painted them each a separate color that I thought suited them and hand-decorated the top with an adjective that I thought best described them. Nine years old people! Where I came up with that idea I'll never know, but the point is I've always loved making things personal. I can remember people asking me, how'd you make that or where'd you come up with that?

I'm constantly picking up these tiny bits of inspiration everywhere but I don't fee like I ever DO anything with them anymore. It's like all these crafty little seeds are in my brain just waiting to sprout up. I thought it would be cool to have a place to show people my creative process and where I find inspiration, but also something that would hold me accountable to keep creating.

I have a growing list of ideas that I have to get out soon or I might go crazy. So again, here's to hoping I don't lose interest and move on to something else. (Please someone out there save me from my whimsical ways!!) Hope to have some crafty goodness to post in the next week or so - and if not, you read it here first. You have my permission to leave mean comments insinuating I'm a sissypants. Or just saying that. Or worse. (Don't think my mom is reading. Yet.)

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Caroline! I'm currently trying to teach myself how to crochet. Next up: knitting. I'm an old lady.

    Here's to the inspiration sprouts!

    ReplyDelete