Wednesday, October 10, 2012

pretty in pink | supporting MSABC


I've been itching to put this post up for ages now, and I'm so glad I finally get to share it with you all. As many of you know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and Jason and I are doing our part by getting involved with the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (MSABC) 5K walk. We'll be walking to raise money for cancer research and to help women who are currently fighting the disease this Saturday, October 13th at Treaty Oak Park.



I'll refrain from sharing every detail of my own grandmom Betty's battle with breast cancer before I was born, but she beat it and now I have so many wonderful memories of her. She's an incredibly strong lady, and I'm so unbelievably thankful she was able to fight through and regain her health. Jason's grama also beat breast cancer - twice! - and I get to have her beautiful presence in my life now too. I am so grateful that I still have both of those women as role models, but I'm well aware that some families aren't as lucky. Breast cancer is a cause so near and dear to our families that Kelly (Jason's mom) volunteered to be 2012 Operations Chair for the American Cancer Society's MSABC walk in Downtown Jacksonville. She's been working her tush off the past few months coordinating EVERYTHING for the event this weekend, and I couldn't be more proud of her. We'll not only be walking to remember, honor, and raise money for women affected by breast cancer, but we'll also be there supporting Kelly!

The Florida MSABC campaign is cleverly titled "Put On Your Pink Bra," where the pink bra is a symbol of our support for this great cause. We've put together a team (team IWearYourPinkBra) to raise money, and all I'm going to say is... Jason WILL be donning a hot pink bra for the event. If you'd like to help us by making a donation to our team, you can do so by clicking on this link. I would appreciate any donation - even if it's just $5 - because every single dollar counts, and I would love to one day be able to tell my daughter or niece or other young girl that she doesn't have to worry because we've found a cure for this awful disease.

To celebrate the event this weekend, I thought I'd put together some little pink lovelies that make me smile. I hope you enjoy them, and I hope you'll join me in supporting breast cancer awareness all month long. And if you're in Jacksonville, come out with us this weekend and Put On Your Pink Bra!


1. Viscid Watch from Anthropologie | I'm just going to have to break down and buy this because I've been eyeing it for months
2. Envelope Clutch from ASOS | Sophisticated chic, and I love the gold detail.
3. Pink Aztec Tee from Dorothy Perkins | Tribal trendy, yet casual and comfy. Yes, please!
4. Vintage Phone Illustration on Etsy | The subject may be vintage, but the look is modern - I want this print in my studio!
5. DIY Ombre Ikea Dresser from decor8 | I think this treatment would be really fun for a guest room or nursery (not mine... don't get any ideas guys!)
6. Scallop Duvet from Urban Outfitters | I'm kind of obsessed with scallops lately. I wish we still had a guest room because I'd buy this up QUICK!
7. Pink Quartz Necklace on Etsy | It's dainty, girly and personalized too!

---



// MSABC Florida Division on Facebook and Twitter

1 comment:

  1. great article!!!! I hope you guys have fun on the walk!!!! I donated a few weeks ago hope it helps out!!!! take care and great job again!!

    ReplyDelete