Sunday, September 9, 2012

florida fall and the open road



photo credit // buy it on Etsy // type by clumsy crafty happy 

There's something about Fall that just makes me think of a roadtrip. Maybe it's the fact that when I was young, we didn't have enough money to fly the whole family places, so we'd hit the road instead. Thanksgiving trips up to the mountains were almost a yearly occurrence in my family, and they represent some of the fondest memories from my youth.  

Or perhaps it's the many Fall weekends I spent during my college years, packing into a crowded Suburban with my best friends, headed off to see our beloved Gators take on their latest adversary. To this day I can hear a song from one of our many carefully crafted playlists and it will take me right back to that feeling of young freedom.

Yep, the second I start to feel the stifling heat of the Florida summer replaced with the subtle breeziness of the Florida "fall" - an oxymoron in its own right - my mind starts to wander to road signs and rest stops. And while I don't have a football weekend or family roadtrip planned in the immediate future, I somehow managed to serendipitously get a fall roadtrip on my work agenda this month. (One of the many reasons I feel like I have the coolest job in the world.)

That's right, as you read this right now, I'm hanging out in a bright blue Tahoe with my crazy work cohorts, headed out on a seven-city, two-week tour of the East Coast. We have an awesome sponsor, Buzztime Trivia, that's paying us to travel around and challenge teams to Buzztime trivia in bars and restaurants along our route. We get to basically drink some beers, talk some trash, and hand out prizes to whomever shows up. Pretty cool gig, right? (If you want more info on our tour, check out the IWearYourShirt blog here and learn how you can win an iPhone 5 just by helping us promote it. If you know anyone near our seven stops, please direct them to the following Facebook events - I'd love to meet and play with as many people as I possibly can! Atlanta, Columbia, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, New Brunswick, Baltimore, Charlotte.)

Like I said, even though this trip is for work and I know it will be unbelievably exhausting, I can't help but picture hours of cloudless blue skies and the sun warming my face through the passenger's seat window. Even though I don't expect it to be truly fall yet on this trip (ugh, I wish it was so I could justify finally breaking out my boots and scarves!), I'm excited to experience September somewhere other than Florida. Three of the cities I've never visited before, and one of my favorite things is feeling the aura of a new city for the first time.

So if I'm a little out of touch for the next two weeks, please forgive me. I'm really gonna do my best to keep the updates coming (and who knows, maybe some time on the road will be fantastic for my writing), but in general I'm going to try and focus my time on making this trip a huge success for Buzztime. My goal is to make a little bit of time to get fun photos in each city to share with you guys, even if I don't have time to write an entire post. It'll be like I'm taking you all with me!

Lastly, I just want to give a HUGE thank you to everyone that has liked the blog's new Facebook page. I want to make that a place where I can not only share posts, but share inspiration photos, great links and anything related to design, typography, photography and general awesomeness. Working in social media, I know all too well how over-crowded the branded Facebook page market is, so your Likes mean a lot to me. Hopefully I'll be opening my Etsy shop by the end of the year, and I'll get to share that process with you all too!

That's it for now. Hope you've enjoyed your weekend thus far. Until next time, friends... the open road is calling.


photo found on the everyday adventurer // type by clumsy crafty happy

(If you know the original source of this photo, please let me know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment